The Musical Monoprint Hand-Bound Journal…

It was a few days into July when I caught a video by Alma Stoller (I love her and her work)…she was making monoprints—without a Gelli plate—and she was planning to create every day for the month of July.

When I saw this video, I was finishing my Children’s Hymnal daily morning page journal and casting about for my next daily project. I really enjoyed working on daily morning pages for ten to fifteen minutes a day, working more into the primitive aspects than the deeply layered nuanced pieces … I love that juxtaposition between the two…and I love how creating one informs how I create the other…

When I saw Alma’s video, one thing that struck me deeply – was the monoprinting process she used…and the other examples of monoprinting—without a Gelli plate—I had to try it.

So I got plastic wrap and used painters tape to tape it down to a piece of scrap paper that I used to protect my table from my work…and I got busy…

Oh, was it fun.

I used pages taken from – a completely different hymnal—I monoprinted the fronts and backs of every page. I believe there are thirty-two spreads, plus a cover page spread as well.

I had planned to use my initial Inspiration Wednesday journal (which I dismantled earlier this year) , but it turned out that the cover was actually too big for my little hymnal pages.

So—I had to sew a new cover. I found this cool bubbly-looking purple fabric – actually it was on the floor in the basement where someone else had obviously been digging through my fabric stash for whatever reason…

I cut the fabric to size. I added batting to the centre. I sewed it all up – then I sewed all over the cover to add texture and interest…and then…it has been sitting there on my work table, waiting for me to sew it all together…honestly, my binding thread (which is just a big skein of crochet thread) walked away on walk about for awhile and is nowhere to be found…and things have been so … off lately that I have not made the time to start digging through my stuff to see where the skein was stuffed by the last person who used it…

But –it’s sitting there waiting for me.

The plan is to sew all the signatures – there are eight signatures of two pages each, plus the cover page—into the cover page and into the cloth at the same time. Then I plan to glue the cover pages down to the inner journal covers. Instead of masking tape down the centers of the spreads to prevent leakage and bleed through…I plan to use washi tape. I am actually happy with the layers of musical score and prayers set to music and the layers of paint.  I want to keep that vibe going with the washi tape.

As soon as I get all of that done…there will be pictures…

Maybe by then I will decide what I am going to be creating in that little journal.