29 Faces Check-In

Standard

if you only follow along with me on instagram to see my 29Faces sketches, you  are really missing out.

This year, I have only been posting sketches and WIPs to instagram–and I have not been posting them here on the blog.  I have only posted the finished ones, or at least to the best of my abilities only the finished ones…

Today I am going to share three faces, two of which I posted as unfinished in my last 29Faces blog post (here).

This session I have not dedicated much time to explaining the processes I have been using…so I thought I would do that a little bit today.

watermarked-scan_20170216

Who would have thought something so simple…could be so complicated?

It’s not the face or the girl–it was the paper.  The paper came as something tucked into a songbook that I grabbed at the thrift store last time I was there.  I enjoy creating on old book pages, old hymnal pages, old music pages.

I opened the book to flip through the pages to see what sort of music it was…and two free pages fell out.  It turns out these pages are the same song, and not from this book at all, and they seem to be on mimeographed paper.

That means the pages were obviously copied…and the paper was sort of slick.  Basically.

I didn’t really think about it all that much.

I grabbed a conte pencil, because my charcoal pencil was MIA, and did a quick sketch.

The next day, I came back and decided to play with watercolors.

Uhm.  I had to put down several layers of water and then watercolor before the paint began to stick to the page, and even then, I had to let it dry and come back in with more color.  It was an interesting process.  In the end, I do like the way she turned out.

 

watermarked-scan_20170216-2

This is a sketch that I did based on an actual person…and other than the coloring, it actually turned out better than I expected.  I can tell who it is.  I drew from an instruction video.  That was difficult for me.  I am used to using pictures as references, magazines, books, pinterest…and here I did this from a video…she kept moving.  Shadows kept moving  highlights kept moving.  It was really fun…and instructive  I do plan to do more like this in due time.

The initial sketch was done in Prismacolor Verithin, the red on one end, blue on the other pencil.  I used the blue, as I am wont to do, because I prefer blue.

Then I came in with watercolors.  No issues there.  She’s done in what I call my Chicago altered book journal.  I use it all the time.  I finished her off here and there with a bit of colored pencil.  Eye lights were added with white gel pen.

watermarked-scan_20170216-3

This was just a bit of fun, playing, listening to my toddler tell me some story of his.  I think she was done in pencil, but maybe either the charcoal pencil or conte.  I think maybe conte; the eyelid smooshed when I hit it with the water a bit, but ot enough to be charcoal.

It was the same for her, only with a much more simple palette.  I only wanted to worked with a couple colors.  There are more shades of green in her eye than there are other colors in her whole face.  I don’t think I used any colored pencils at all on her.

Thanks for showing up here today.

Until next time.

Advertisements