My September 29 Faces Journal

I had about decided to go with one of the journals I already have, bought or made, when my husband came home from work bearing gifts.

We didn’t tell anyone ahead of time about the wedding, so his office team threw him/us a wedding party.

I love using wrapping paper and different bits and bobs from holidays and parties in my work, although usually on canvases.

As I sat looking at the bags he brought home (and the gifts were incredible too, thank you all 🙂 ) — it struck me that my choice of journals had already been gifted to me — all I had to do was put it together.

I didn’t take any pictures of the process…because I didn’t actually think of it, because it was late at night and I was more in mind to get the journal done and let glue and whatever dry overnight so I could start to use it today…but I do have the after pics.

This is the front.

The cover started life as a simple gift bag.

I carefully cut it open and turned it into a more square piece of heavy paper.  I removed the carry straps…and held on to them for later.

The bag was actually the right height, so I didn’t have to trim that part…I had to trim away the entire bottom of the bag.  I added washi tape along all the edges because I had to glue the top part of the bag down to the inside because the bag came with overlap.  I added another strip of washi across the bag’s holes for the handle.

I cut the, well, more rectangle than square, in half, so that one side of the bag would be the spine…I had to trim the spine to the correct size, because from the beginning I was only planning two or three signatures.  I also trimmed the opposite side of the bag away, because there was too much overlap on the inside covers from it.

For the spine, I glued the two sides of the cover together, overlapping…and then I used one of the cut-out pieces of the former side of the bag to reinforce that by gluing it down over the top of that join, on the inside of the cover.

finished spine

I created my signatures, using regular buff colored cardstock, just folded in half.  Three pages per signature–three signatures total.

I marked my holes and sewed each signature in.  I used a five-hole binding.  I then glued my very front and very back pages down to the cover, to strengthen the book and to give it more stability.  Then I took the overlap from the covers and glued that down to the front and the back pages I had just glued down.

front inside cover
back inside cover

Since the glue was still wet, I sat that under a nice heavy dictionary for a few hours.

Then, when I felt the glue was set, I took it out and sprayed the cover with a spray sealant…because there was already enough pink glitter all over the house from the bag in the first place…now the dots will stay in place.

I left it to dry overnight.

center of one of the signatures
random page inside the book
back of the book

So it’s not the fanciest book I have ever made, but I love it.  It means a great deal to me because of where it originated.

I can’t wait to get to work creating faces in it.

If you’d like to join Ayala’s 29 Faces Challenge, click here for more information.

I hope to be posting finished faces here, soon.


For Your inspiration Friday


Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde


Art is not a thing, it is a way.

Elbert Hubbard


Art is never finished, only abandoned.

Leonardo da Vinci


In art there is only one thing that counts; the thing you can’t explain.

Georges Broque


What is done in love is done well.

Vincent Van Gogh