I started this before Halloween, but put it on the backburner once NaKniSweMo began…
It is ready for the decreases…I am using the Clayoquot Toque pattern as my basis…and I LOVE this pattern. It is the first one in a long time that has helped me manage decreasing without going nuts around here…because decreasing around the people in this house is madness…the trick is–there are stitch markers involved…for which I am so thankful.
Now, the pattern calls for DK yarn…and I used two colors of Caron Simply Soft. That bright bright yellow that the boy loves SO much and demanded…as well as a color-shifting orange…the original plan had been to use a solid orange and a solid blue to create a pattern on the hat…but I had the color-shifting orange in my stash, so I decided to go with that…plus, I love how the orange shifts and moves over the hat.
It is not a complicated pattern at all, as you can see. I was actually far more interested in making sure the boy’s ears have extra padding and insulation than anything.
Now, since I am using simply soft here, my gauge is larger than the pattern…I sized down the hat because of that…although the hat is still plenty roomy, which I consider a good thing with the Little Mister because of all his hair. His hair is very important to him. I always knit my own hats a bit looser than called for because I have these curls to contend with…so it’s a thing around here.
I got excited working on my Boom! shawl and set the hat aside this past week…after I get my second sleeve started for my sweater, I will finish off his hat. It shouldn’t take but a couple hours. And then…I will have to face off with the boy who will want his matching scarf right that minute…I am still debating on knitting a scarf in the round and doing colorwork for him…or just knitting him a lovely yellow scarf…maybe with orange fringe. I’m not sure on that yet.