Duncan’s First Adult Baby Surprise Jacket

View this post on Instagram

Dun's ABSJ

A post shared by Tabitha Low (@tabitha_j_low) on

My darling boy wants me to knit him…sweaters, pants, hats, blankets, jackets, toys, houses, rockets, cars…as in full-sized cars, rockets, houses…if I could knit everything he wanted me to as fast as he thinks I could knit, I would be AMAZING…but I am not fast…and I am frequently distracted…although I keep working.

So, the finished product is a wonky uneven thing—through no fault of the pattern, please know.  I cast on this jacket just a few days after getting home from the hospital after surgery and I was still taking my prescription narcotics…to say I wasn’t all there at the time…understatement…I just didn’t realize it until later.

I cast on the correct number of stitches.  I marked the first double decrease properly…but I misread the second double decrease spot…instead of marking stitch 52—I marked stitch 57.  In the grand scheme of most things, this wouldn’t have caused much issue…except gauge with this little jacket is 2 stitches equals one inch.  I didn’t realize my mistake –as I do not count stitches with every row—until I got to the double increase part…by then, I was just going to keep going and figure things out once I finished.  Which is what I did.

Once I reached the end of the knitting…I went to sew up the shoulders…and found out one arm was way too thin for my boy’s arm…that’s where the first issue showed itself.  The second issue is that the one side isn’t squared as it should be, since the decreases/increases were off…so the front ends of the sweater are…asymmetric.

In order to make the sleeve fit, I picked up stitches and added width to the sleeve…and to balance it out, I did the same on the other side, only I knit up just a couple rows.  That was more for look than for utility.  I made sure the sleeves were the same depth.  I also added length to the sleeves, whichi s part of the pattern.  The shoulder seams sewed up with no issues.

I added a collar by picking up stitches and knitting back and forth until I liked the look of it.

I have emoji buttons to sew on it, because the boy wants to wear the jacket…especially now that it is seventy-degree temperatures around here…Spring has finally arrived…

As soon as he tried the jacket on, he demanded I knit him pants to go with it…he wants his favorite yellow and rainbow – my ABSJ is “rainbow” colored according to him…uhm…he may be waiting on those pants for a bit.

The main body of the jacket was made from Lion’s Brand Hometown USA yarn in Pittsburgh Yellow and Madison Mustard.  I also used some…something,…I had two balls of something laying about that I double-stranded to add in his stripes.    The Hometown USA yarn is thick and heavy.  He likes it.

I am planning to make him another one.  I had already planned to make him another one long before I messed the first one up.  The second one will be made from Loops & Threads Charisma…again yellows and again stripes, ‘rainbow’ stripes.  Other than actually following the pattern properly this time…I plan to add a collar again.  And maybe pockets.  I am also planning to make myself another ABSJ—and it needs a collar and pockets…I didn’t realize how much I love pockets before I made my own first ABSJ—with no collar (which is fine) and no pockets.  The funny thing is—the boy needs pockets to put his rocks and whatever else he finds to collect in…I need pockets to put my hands in…

Both of these projects are on the to be done pile…I am working on something else right now.  More on that later.